Since it was founded in 2004 by Keystone Human Services International, Keystone Moldova has supported people to live, work, go to school, and fully participate in all the community has to offer. Keystone Moldova promotes the social inclusion of people living in difficult social situations, including people with disabilities, through the following objectives:
- To contribute to the improvement of the legal and regulatory framework of the social protection system for vulnerable people, including people with disabilities;
- To contribute to the reform of the social care system for people with disabilities through the promotion of deinstitutionalization and reintegration with families and community services;
- To support the development of community-based social care services for people with disabilities and other people living in difficult social situations;
- To encourage and support the active participation of people with disabilities in political and social life of the Republic of Moldova;
- To support the inclusion of people in difficult social situations, including people with disabilities, in mainstream community services, including schools, kindergartens, health services, and social services;
- To contribute to the reduction of poverty by promoting employment for families living in difficult social situations and people with disabilities;
- To help change public attitudes toward people in difficult situations, including people with disabilities, and promote an environment of inclusion and equal opportunities for the development of all community members regardless of race, language, disability, sex, or age.
Keystone Moldova supports central and local public authorities to improve the regulatory framework and legislation for the social protection of people with disabilities, with the goal of successfully implementing the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and social inclusion.
Keystone Moldova also cooperates with central and local authorities in supporting people with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities to leave institutions and move into the community. Keystone Moldova works to develop community-based social care services for people with disabilities, such as Community Homes, Supported Living, Shared Living, Foster Care, Mobile Teams, and Respite Services.
Keystone Moldova promotes and supports the social inclusion of people living in difficult social situations, as well as those with disabilities, in mainstream community-based social services, including in educational settings. Keystone Moldova's Inclusive Education Methodology, approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture,and Research of the Republic of Moldova in kindergartens and schools, provides assistance to children with special educational needs based on their actual needs.
As people with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities leave residential institutions, Keystone Moldova provides direct assistance to ensure their inclusion into biological or extended families and the community. Keystone Moldova also supports people with disabilities and their families to prevent them from entering institutions in the first place. People with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities and their family members receive various types of assistance, such as social, medical, psychological, legal, behavioral, or other support, depending on their needs as determined by the person centered planning process.
To address the discrimination of people living in difficult social situations and people with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities, Keystone Moldova supports individuals and families to become self-advocates and advocates and helps them become involved in local and national advocacy activities. Keystone Moldova also employs different efficient communication activities, such as the Forum Theater, self-documentation, Storytelling, PhotoVoice, and other similar techniques.